Center Closings & Delays
PIC works hard to stay open in inclement weather, but we must balance the needs of both families and staff.
Making the decision
- PIC follows the decision of the University of Pennsylvania.
UPenn is our landlord and responsible for our snow and ice removal. If they close, we will also close.
- If the Mayor closes city buildings due to snow/ice, we will consider following that lead.
Often that decision is made because Septa routes are out of service, which has a huge impact upon PIC staffing.
- We do NOT follow the School District of Philadelphia in deciding to close as their benchmarks for closing are different than ours.
- When the School District closes for a full day and PIC does not, our After School Center will be open.
- If the School District closes early, our ASC will be open IF the district gives us ample notice to bring in staff.
We then pick up the children at early dismissal. If enough notice is NOT given, we communicate with families that we cannot open before our regular afternoon start time.
- If we call for an early closing, we will send a text and email through our automated messenger system and do our best to contact families via phone.
If snow is expected, it is imperative that we have a phone number where one parent can be reached.
- If we call for a 2-hour delayed opening, we will open at 10:00 am and there will be no early care.
Letting you know
PIC uses an automated communication system (School Messenger) for snow closings and delays. This system will send a text and e-mail messages to all PIC families for whom we have updated contact information.
- When the "School Messenger" system sends a text to a new cell phone number, it automatically generates an opt-in text to that number, asking you to accept texts from School Messenger. You must reply to that text to automatically be enrolled.
- You can also manually opt-in to our system. Text "Y" or "Yes" to the short code "68453".
- In addition, we post information about closings or delays on the homepage of our website, PIC's Facebook page, and leave a message on the Center's voicemail.
PLEASE NOTE: We no longer use the TV announcements for channels CBS3, 6ABC, NBC10 and Fox29, KYW News Radio 1060 AM.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please email Communications Manager Rachel Isaacson at firstname.lastname@example.org.