Preparing for Winter Weather
December 8, 2015
PIC works hard to stay open in inclement weather. However, since we are likely to have weather-related closings, we want you to know how we make the decision to open or close.
- PIC follows the decision of the University of Pennsylvania. If they close, we will also close (Penn is our landlord and responsible for our snow and ice removal).
- If the Mayor closes city buildings due to snow/ice, we will consider following that lead. Often that decision is made because Septa routes are out of service, which has a huge impact upon PIC staffing.
- We do NOT follow the School District in deciding to close as their benchmarks for closing are different than ours.
- When the school district closes and PIC does not, our After School Center will be open.
- If the school district closes early, our ASC will be open for care IF the district gives us ample notice to bring in staff. We will then pick up the children when the schools close. If enough notice is NOT given, we will communicate with families that we cannot open before our regular afternoon start time.
- If we call for a 2-hour delayed opening, we will open at 10:00 am.
PIC uses an automated communication system (School Messenger) for snow closings and delays. This system will send text and e-mail messages to all PIC families for whom we have updated contact information. If you want to make sure you are up-to-date in our system, please email Communications Manager Rachel Isaacson.
We also post information about closings or delays on the homepage of our website, PIC's Facebook page, and voicemail. We also use the TV announcements for channels CBS3, 6ABC, NBC10 and Fox29. Parents may also listen to KYW News Radio 1060 AM or visit their website for school closing information. Our school number is 3018.